Sunday, August 1, 2010

Summer Project

I've begun work on my summer project. One new way I'm using technology is the digital recording of student presentations. I've done a trial recording with the camera that we have at our school. The camera comes with a microphone, but I'm looking into whether we can get a clip-on microphone to better capture voices. I've signed onto the website www.vimeo.com. Students will also sign onto the website in order to save their presentations, edit them, and upload them onto the web.

The students already have a rubric for the presentation itself. This is the one I will use to record their presentation mark. However, I've decided I will also create a rubric for their viewing of their presentations. They will decide on three (?) personal goals before the presentation and then view the presentation to see how well they met those goals. There will also be a section for them to think about what they learned and what their goals will be for the next presentation in the fall. And a section for feedback from a peer.

Besides that, I'm going to use wikispaces as a space for students to discuss the readings in August, and to work on a group essay and peer edits. I've started the wiki and the students can join on Tuesday. We have a class in the computer lab this upcoming week and I'm planning to use that time to get us started using wikispaces.

My goal is that by viewing themselves giving the presentations, the students will have a better awareness of their strengths and weaknesses and a greater feeling of pride of accomplishment. By using wikispaces, I'm hoping to increase student collaboration, especially between the stronger and weaker writers. I also think that the students will better understand the readings if they have a forum to discuss them outside of class time.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Janet,

    I have used Vimeo several times, although not with students, but it's a great tool and I think it's a good idea that your students record their presentation so they can watch themselves again for analysis whenever they can. As you say, they will be able to identify their and their peers' strengths and weaknesses, which will lead to better performance.

    As for assessment, I think that letting your students create the rubrics with the goals they can choose upfront is a great way to empower them to become autonomous learners.

    All the best
    Arjana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Janet,
    I liked you ideas a lot. it is very good to record the students presenations and have them to watch and evaluate them afterwards. That way you help them improve both their skills, as they get aware of what they can/must improve, and their self-esteem as they realize they can do a lot!
    Congratulations!
    yours,
    Elsa

    ReplyDelete